Thursday, July 26, 2012

Healing the Hurt


I’m not happy, not at all. Someone hurt me and I want them to hurt too.  But wishing my hurt on someone else is not what God wants from me.  In the midst of my pain, my husband has to gently remind me of that.  I don’t like it, but deep down I know revenge is not an option.  When I chose to follow Jesus, I chose to do things His way, not mine.
My way will actually keep me miserable, dwelling on the offense, wanting this person to know my pain.  There is no escape; it’s a vicious cycle that brings no relief.  Jesus says forgive and move on.  It is the only way to freedom.   
But what about the offender?  Shouldn’t they suffer in some way?  It seems only right, doesn’t it?  But truthfully, it’s really not about them.  This is my growth opportunity, not theirs.  Growth is a choice, and maturity the result of a multitude of right choices in life.
 Jesus knew what it was like to be mistreated, to not fit in, to be wrongly accused, but he didn’t dwell on it.  He knew men’s weakness, their selfish nature, their pride.  That hits a nerve with me.  My pride has been hurt.  Surely I deserve better.  Didn’t He?
He didn’t deserve the criticism, he didn’t deserve the hatred, he didn’t deserve the cross, and yet He laid His life down.  For me and for you, so we would know what to do when we are wronged, when we are hurt and want revenge.
Jesus spoke not a word to His accusers.  I want to shout my offense from the rooftops.  I think it will bring relief.  It won’t.  I know from experience.  Only God can heal my hurting heart. 

He doesn’t immediately cover up the wound, but exposes it first to clean it out, so nothing is left to fester.  I need to lay down my anger.  Anger is an infection that leads to bitterness.  It doesn’t make for an inviting individual.  I need to lay down my pride.  Pride makes me think that I deserve retaliation.  When we start realizing we aren’t owed anything in this life, we are one step ahead of the crowd.  God extends mercy to us, something we don’t deserve, but He freely gives.  In turn we are to extend it to others.
Revenge may seem sweet in the moment, but surrender, the laying down of my hurt, brings lasting change.  Does the person who hurt me even know they did?  Probably not, but it doesn’t matter anymore.  God knows and that's good enough for me.



3 comments:

  1. I have struggled with forgiveness. I have used the excuse that there can be no forgiveness without repentance. What role does repentance play (if any) in forgiving those who hurt us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Ken. It is hard to forgive, isn't it, especially when our natural reaction is to protect ourselves when someone injures us. But, the decision to forgive someone really has nothing to do with the other person, as to whether they are repentant or not. God doesn't love and forgive us because we first repent, rather we repent because of his great love and forgiveness. Forgiving someone who has wronged us is an act of faith. We leave the offender in God's hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its me Christine,
    I like you postings, great words of wisdom for sure. I am slowly letting go and forgiving and i have been healing in the process. Some areas I still struggle with and not ready to forgive 100%> I am in a better place then three years ago, better then two years ago and even better then yesterday. Keep this going, I will continue to check in.( i did not do a profile so I just did the anonymous, ha-ha)

    ReplyDelete