Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Take a Break!


 
My husband went off on a men’s retreat for the weekend.  Men time and God time.  He needs them both.  A change of pace, a change of scenery.  Both are good for the soul.  Time to wind down, step away from the busyness of life and recharge.

That sounds good to me.  I feel like I am always busy, though life has definitely slowed down now that the kids are no longer home.  I remember the days when we were running all over the place for soccer and field hockey games, fitting in small group and church activities, on top of work and the kids’ school commitments.  I watch friends do it now and wonder how we ever managed. 

Because my friend Julie's husband was also on the retreat, I spent Saturday morning with her to help with the 10 month old triplets. Wow, talk about a busy schedule.  Imagine everything times three, all at once.  It was so much fun getting to feed each baby and play with them, but after a few hours I was more in need of a nap then they were.

Why is it not until we get older that we really gain an appreciation for a good nap?  It is almost as if we are afraid to admit we need to slow down and take a break.  After all those years of running in high gear, I am finally recognizing the importance of rest.  It helps to not only rejuvenate my body, but my mind and spirit as well.   I used to always say that I wasn't a good mother after 9pm.  I'm not a nice person when I need a nap either.

Are you worn out, burned out or stressed out?  Do you feel depleted because you are trying to juggle too many things?  How many times have you asked someone how they are and their response is BUSY!  It’s hard to find someone who isn’t.  We work all day and then fill up our evenings as well.  And after a crazy week of work, there are all those home projects and "to-do lists" that require our attention.  

This is not how God wants us to live.  Jesus tells us to come to him if we are weary or heavy burdened and he will give us rest.  The Message translation of the bible puts it this way, “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

Sounds good, doesn’t it?  Jesus says come to me and unload your baggage.  Stop for awhile and let me recharge your batteries and refresh your mind.  Let me put things in perspective as to how life should be.  Stop and take a break from all the busyness and learn how to really live. 

It is only in Jesus that we find the rest we need from our struggles and sorrows, from our striving to get ahead, from the distractions that keep us from having a deeper relationship with him.  To rest in Jesus means that we can close our eyes for a while and let him drive the bus.  Let him fill you with his peace and his presence. If he needs you, he will let you know.  Go ahead, take a break.  Jesus has it under control.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment