Monday, August 6, 2012

The Grand Illusion


“Welcome to the Grand Illusion, come on in and see what’s happening, pay the price, get your tickets for the show…”  If your old enough you’ll know these are the lyrics to a Styx song and yes, I am dating myself.  They were my favorite band in high school.  And yet the words of this song from the 70’s are just as true for the 21st century.

Isn’t that what life really is, “A Grand Illusion?”  Everything always looks better on the other side of the fence.  We know that something is missing so we fill the void with relationships, possessions, drugs, alcohol, work, or whatever else we think will satisfy our need.  We want more out of life, believing that bigger is better and what other’s have is the secret to happiness. 

“But don't be fooled by the radio
The TV or the magazines
They show you photographs of how your life should be
But they're just someone else's fantasy
So if you think your life is complete confusion
Because your neighbors got it made
Just remember that it’s a Grand illusion
And deep inside we’re all the same
We’re all the same…”

I think if we are honest with ourselves we realize that “stuff” doesn’t meet the need of our heart.  Ask yourself this question?  Have the “wants” you’ve had to have in life given you the happiness you desire, or are you still craving for something more?  Does it seem like you are never really satisfied?  I know I wasn’t.  I always hoped that the next “big thing” would bring contentment.  My pastor stated the problem perfectly.  “A spiritual thirst can never be satisfied by a physical pleasure.”

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.”  (John 6:35)

Jesus is the only answer for the unrelenting hunger of our heart.  The bible tells us that God will supply all of our needs in Christ Jesus.  Following Jesus is not about giving up everything, but finding that Jesus is everything you need. 

When King David committed adultery with Bathsheba and then had her husband murdered, the Lord confronted his sin through the prophet Nathan.  Listen to what God had to say to David.  I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms.  I gave you all Israel and Judah.  And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.” (2 Samuel 12:8)  God longs to give us his best, but instead we “quench our thirst” with water than can never satisfy.  We fill our lives with things that leave us longing for more.

Is something missing in your life?  Have you tried everything else?  Maybe it’s time to try Jesus?  I would love to show you how.





1 comment:

  1. AWESOME, AWESOME post!

    We are so proud of you Mary Ellen! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete